What you’ll get
Duration : 1 day
Departure : hotel in Phong Nha
Suitable : Family, couple, solo traveler
Type : Land tour
While not physically connected to Son Doong, Hang Nuoc Nut and Hang Va are part of Son Doong cave system based on their shared water flow. The stalactites and stalagmites in Hang Va are even more beautiful and extraordinary than Son Doong cave, but you should see and feel it yourself. Join Hang Va Expedition 2 days tour to have an unforgettable experience.
- Discover Hang Nuoc Nut and Hang Va within 2 days
- Join a true jungle camp and a great experience around camp fire listening to the jungle noises
- Enjoy the beautiful formations, enormous passage and underground river, again with many photographic opportunities
- 1 Breakfast, 2 Lunches, 1 Dinner
- A/C transfer
- Camping Tent
- Price Includes
- First Aid Kit (application by guides only)
- Porter team to carry all camping gear and prepare meals
- Caving & safety gear: caving helmet, caving headlight, gloves, harness
- Camping gear: hammock (with mosquito net), camp light, sleeping bag
- Professional English-speaking tour guide and guide safety assistant
- Katadyn (Swiss-made) water filter and purifier (used only by guide and porters)
- Basic camping facilities with eco-friendly compost toilet using Western toilet seat
- Basic canvas trekking boots (only if you do not have your own pair) sizes 36 – 46
- Meals: picnic lunch (Day 1), BBQ dinner (Day 1), breakfast (Day 2), lunch (Day 2)
- Shared dry box for phones and small cameras (limited availability for larger cameras)
- Price Excludes
- 1 small towel
- 1 backpack to hold personal items
- 1 change of clothes for after the tour
- 2 pair of calf length close weave socks (not ankle socks!)
- 1 long (easy to dry) pants and 1 long sleeved shirt to wear during the trek (quick dry)
- 1 pair of trekking boots/shoes (if you prefer your own comfortable pair)
- Personal items: mosquito repellent, sunscreen, sunglasses, hat, camera, underwear, toiletries
- 1 dry bag (can be purchased at our office if you don’t have one)1 set of camp clothes (shorts for around camp; please bring a fleece in winter)
- Cancellation by Customer
For almost of our tours, once tour is confirmed and fully paid but for one reason they cancel the tour, the following charges will apply in the event of cancellation prior to tour commencement:
- More than 30 days before arrival: No charge
- 15-30 days before arrival: 10% of total tour price.
- 7-15 days before arrival: 50% of total tour price.
- 4-7 days before arrival: 75% of total tour price.
- Within 3 days before arrival: 100% tour price.
- There will be no refund given for any unused or missed ground arrangements, sightseeing, meals or hotel accommodations.
- For no showcases, there will be no refund.
- All cancellations must be in person or in writing and received by Asia Travel Package
- Cancellation by Weather
In case of an unexpected situation/ bad weather causes an effect on your trip after commencement, we serve the right to change the itinerary of your booked tour for the safety of all clients in the group. If there are more than one solution, we will ask for your permission and agreement to do the next step. In such kind of cancellation, the refund of any payment on the un-used portion of transportation service, hotel service, car rental or tours will be given.
- Children Policy
- Under 4 years: Free of Charge.
- From 4 to under 8 years old: 50% of adult's fare.
- Over 8 years old: 100% of adult's fare.
- Day 1: Phong Nha – Hang Nuoc Nut – Hang Va jungle camp
For your convenience, we will pick you up at your hotel in Phong Nha between 8:00 – 8:30 AM and drive to Oxalis Headquarters. At Oxalis Headquarters, you will collect your gear and listen to a tour briefing before driving 45 minutes through the National Part to the trailhead.
From the trailhead, we will enter the jungle and hike to the entrance of Hang Nuoc Nut. Here we put on our Petzl helmets and Hope Technology 1500 lumen headlamps. Once inside the low opening, the cave enlarges dramatically and we explore the high level series with excellent photographic opportunities. We have a picnic lunch with ice cold drinks provided before setting off in the cave for around 2 kilometers. Enjoy the beautiful formations, enormous passage and Underground River, again with many photographic opportunities.
Leaving the cave you will trek on a jungle path which though short is on a tough and difficult terrain. The jungle campsite is located at the base of huge cliffs next to the entrance of Hang Va. Camp will be set up and tea/coffee will be supplied as well as a delicious dinner served by our local chef. This is a true jungle camp and a great experience around camp fire listening to the jungle noises.
Meals: L, D
- Day 2: Hang Va – Phong Nha
Day 2 is the highlight of the expedition. Before experiencing this fantastic cave, Hang Va, you will have a delicious breakfast at around 8:00 am.
First, you will have to climb down the steep entrance of Hang Va. It can be quite slippery, so move slowly and with care. To assure your safety, we will have a rope for you to clip into with a harness which will be provided for you. You will continue to wear the harness at all times inside Hang Va Cave.
After that, if we are early, there is a chance to swim in a downstream pool inside Hang Va before heading upstream. You will walk most of the time in water flowing through the river passage, climb up and down, and squeeze between the rocks. The water level of the river passage can be as high as chest level, so be ready to be wet for about 4 hours.
When you reach the end of the wet passage, you will need to use the harness again to carefully climb up to the high level passage. You will be amazed with this high level area because of its stunning formations, really rare throughout the world. In this area, we will have a lot of time to take beautiful images with the support of Hope lights and extra lights prepared specifically for photography in Hang Va Cave.
Finally, we will head back to the camp, enjoy lunch and at around 2:00 pm, walk back to the road by a different route to the pick up point. Our driver will take you back to your hotel in Phong Nha by about 5:00 pm.
Meals: B, L
- Minimum 2 pax
- Available only 5 times per week for group tour, any date for private tour
- Operated from February to August (closed from September to January)
- Transfer Dong Hoi - Phong Nha + $35/way
Questions & Answers
9.4Based on 3 reviews
Value for money
16 Feb 2019
Guides were awesome - helping with river crossings, accommodating photography stops and making sure we didn’t get dehydrated or hungry. The campsite in the cave was beautiful and had all essentials. The meals were plentiful and delicious.
15 Feb 2019
just back from 2 day trip to hang tien caves. it was a great trip. Staffs did a flawless job with logistics, food prep, well kept camping site, great leadership (long), great safety helpers. i am 65 years old and hike quite a bit but found this trek to be the most challenging ever. rocky, rooty and muddy! stepping from one big wet eroded sharp limestone boulder to another. sliding on muddy trail on descents. im not suggesting for a minute not to go but even the 20 and 30 year olds in our group struggled. so be aware that when they say strenuous they mean it! the safety porters were always where they were needed along the way to offer a hand, help with a pack or suggest footing. our guide long was a well educated, intelligent, capable young man. we had great dinner table discussions and learned so much about vietnam. i am also impressed with the mission of the organization: preserving and revitalizing the wilderness.
02 Mar 2018
One of our main reasons for visiting Phong Nha was for the 2-day caving trek that we had arranged in Feb 2018. The Hang Va Expedition overnight journey included a trek through rugged karst jungle and visits to 2 caves in the area, Nuoc Nut (day 1), and Hang Va (day 2). Hang Va includes some of the rarest formations in the world, a true subterranean sight for the eyes. Local travel agency runs an amazing operation employing hundreds of area locals - the guide, porters, and chefs were all seriously impressive and the food, served up in the middle of the jungle, was some of the best we’d had during our month in Vietnam. The jungle trek and adventure into the caves is not for the faint of heart - and it requires a decent level of fitness (traversing over sharp rocks, through rocky passageways, wading in water for several hours). However we were surprised to find that it wasn’t as difficult as we’d each hyped it up to be (both late 20’s/early 30’s) and everyone in our 10 person group was able to carry along very well. The team paid very high attention to safety and everyone’s comfortability throughout the trek, their professionalism is unmatched (we’d heard some horror stories about inattentive guides and unsafe conditions from other operators in the area). As a semi-professional photographer (more of an enthusiast these days), I was blown away by the willingness of our guide to help identify and light some of the best photo ops in the caves. He was able to translate his wealth of experience of the caves into valuable assistance in producing some awesome images. Anyone who is into photography enough to own a small tripod should absolutely bring it on this adventure. This experience has been one of the main highlights of our RTW trip and is excellent value for the money and experience with a world-renowned caving operator. We’d highly recommend it to anyone!